Early 2018 the European Commission launched A European Strategy for Plastics in a Circular Economy with ambitious targets for the plastics industry:
- All plastics must be recyclable by 2030
- 50% of plastics must be recycled by 2025
- 55% of plastics must be recycled by 2030
PET Commitment to the EU Commission
PET is best in class, that is why the PET value chain set itself voluntarily even higher targets.
The PET industry will..
- focus on the overall objective: 100% recycling of collected PET packaging material.
- commit to 65% recycling and reuse of PET packaging material collected by 2030 (amongst which 30% of closed loop)
- continue to commit to improve the Circular Economy by influencing the conditions for appropriate EU and national legal frameworks.
- develop the requirements for all converters and brand owners to endorse and apply current as well as future Design for Recycling guidelines.
- influence and demand that EPR schemes will provide stable and standardised, quality sorted PET baled streams.
- cooperate in finding innovative solutions or remove obstacles for the use of standard recycled qualities.
- cooperate to develop a positive contribution outside Europe using the established tools in the value chain.