The Working Group that organised its first public ODR Workshop in February 2017 concentrates on the upcoming issue of heavily coloured or opaque PET, which is in fast growing demand in new applications such as milk bottles, detergents and family care products. Currently recyclers process mainly transparent or light coloured PET.
Therefore, the goal of the WG is to find and ensure an end-of-life strategy for these products and to promote their image.
The Opaque and Difficult to Recycle PET Packaging (ODR) Working Group concentrates on the upcoming issue of heavily coloured or opaque PET, which is in fast growing demand in new applications such as milk bottles, detergents and family care products. Currently recyclers process mainly transparent or light coloured PET. Therefore, the goal of the WG is to find and ensure an end-of-life strategy for these products and to promote their image.
- Analyse ODR market
- Define, validate anddisseminate best collection/sorting and recycling technologies
- Map current and new recycling paths for ODR
- Learn from best-in-class examples and practices
- Optimise DfR Guidelines
- Working Group Chairmen: Gian de Belder (Procter & Gamble) & Herbert Snell (MultiPet)
- Task Force 1: Market analysis - applications and compositions
Chairwoman: Alessandra Funcia (Sukano)
- Task Force 2: Challenges and impacts for MRF (sorting) / recyclers (end markets)
Chairman: Vincent Colard (Citeo)
- Task Force 3: Solutions to improve sorting - current practices and future systems
Chairman: Vincent Colard (Citeo)
- Task Force 4: End applications for ODR - current practices and new applications
Chairman: Casper van den Dungen (PRE / Polyrecycling)
- Task Force 5: Current best practices / MS initiatives / new projects
Chairman: Emmanuel Guichard (Elipso)
- Task Force 6: Communicate & define improved Design-for-Recycling principles
Chairman: William Vankeyenberg (PTI Europe)
Petcore Europe hosted its ODR (Opaque and Difficult to Recycling) Working Group meeting on 2 October 2018 at the Bluepoint Business Center in Brussels. More than 50 participants and expert speakers from all major European label and sleeve suppliers made the meeting a big success.
The ODR Workshop that was organised on 2 February 2017 gave an overview on the current status of markets, collection, sorting, best practices, applications and end markets in the field of opaque and difficult to recycle PET containers. It marked the starting point for the new Petcore Europe ODR Working Group and thus aimed at bringing all participants to a common knowledge base.
Working Group Agenda (per annum)
- Up to three physical meetings of the ODR Working Group
- Regular meetings / conference calls of the different Task Forces
Organisation of public workshop
All interested industry representatives are welcome to join this Working Group. For Petcore Europe members access to the WG is for free. External companies are charged a contribution fee for covering the functioning costs.
The group is comprising participants from the complete PET value chain including among others resin and masterbatch producers, packaging material producers, label producers, associations, sorting and recycling machine manufacturers, brand owners as well as EPR organisations.